Saturday, November 08, 2014

Victorian Bingo Challenge (Sign up)

The Two Sisters, 1889, Pierre-Auguste Renoir
I'm excited to host the Victorian Reading Challenge for 2015! I hope you'll join me if you love Victorian literature! This year will be a little different from previous years. I think it will be a fun change! I'm offering two options: a 2015 challenge and a perpetual challenge. Let me know which one you are signing up for in the comments. (You can sign up for both, just indicate that.)

The 2015 Challenge. The first Bingo card is for 2015.
The goal is to get a Bingo (horizontal, vertical, diagonal, four corners and center square). This will require a minimum of five books.

 One book per square. For example: Oliver Twist can count for "Book with a name as the title" or "Charles Dickens" or "Book published 1837-1940" or "Book published in serial format" or "Book over 400 pages" or "Book that has been adapted into a movie" or "Book set in England."  But obviously, it can only count once.

The categories:
  •  book published in the 1840s,
  • male author,
  • female author, 
  • book with a name as the title,
  • book published in serial (monthly) format
  • book published 1837-1840,
  • book published in the 1850s, 
  • children's book, 
  • book of your choice, 
  • Charles Dickens
  • book set in England, 
  • book that you wish had been adapted into a movie, 
  • book published in the 1860s, 
  • reread of your choice, 
  • Anthony Trollope
  • for better or worse (marriage), 
  • mystery-suspense-sensation, 
  • book over 400 pages, 
  • book published in the 1870s
  • Wilkie Collins 
  • book published in the 1890s, 
  • book that has been adapted into a movie, 
  • book published 1900-1901,
  • collection (poetry, stories, fairy tales), 
  • book published in the 1880s
If there is enough interest, I can compose a list of examples/suggestions for each category. Or if there is a particular category that puzzles you, and you want suggestions, I could answer your specific question.
  • Fiction or nonfiction.
  • Books, e-books, audio books all are fine.
  • Books and movies can be reviewed together or separately.
  • You can create a reading list if you want, but it's not a requirement
  • If you do make a list, consider adding a list of five books you'd recommend to others
  • If possible try to try a new-to-you author! I know it can be really tempting to stick with familiar favorites.
  • Children's books published during these years should not be forgotten!
  • Rereads are definitely allowed if you have favorites!
  • A blog is not required, a review is not required, but, if you don't review please consider sharing what you read in a comment with one or two sentences of 'reaction' or 'response.'
  • for the 2015 challenge, any qualifying book FINISHED January through December 2015 counts. OR any qualifying book REVIEWED January through December 2015 counts. 
  • for the perpetual challenge, it is up to you if you want to count books read/reviewed in 2014 too. You can if you like. Or you could start fresh in 2015. 
A perpetual challenge. For those that LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Victorian literature and want an ambitious challenge that could take over a year or two to complete, I offer the Victorian Bingo card.
(If you're super-ambitious, you might want to try to fill the whole card.) The goal: to get a Bingo by reading eight books. (horizontal, vertical, diagonal, four corners and four center squares). Same guidelines apply as above.


© 2014 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

16 comments:

Lois Tinúviel said...

This looks like so much fun! I can't wait! :)
http://youmeandacupofteablog.blogspot.com/p/2015-reading-challenges_1.html

Cath said...

I'm up for this lovely sounding challenge and my post is up.

Margaret @ BooksPlease said...

I'm going to give this a go! My post is up here.

Crafts4others said...

Here is my list http://crafts4others.blogspot.com/2014/11/victorian-bingo-challenge-2015.html

o said...

I think I may have to join this one! I love Victorian lit! I love the idea of reading a book for every year... Actually, I love both of them!

I'll write up a signing up post next week :)

o said...

Here's my sign-up post :)

Anonymous said...

This looks great, my challemge post is here: https://booksunderthebed888.wordpress.com/2014/12/04/reading-challenges/

Alex @ The Blethering Bookworm said...

This looks great fun! I am going through a Dickens reading phase at the moment so this is just up my street :)
My Sign Up Post :)

Keely said...

Thanks for hosting this challenge. I'm really excited about it. Here's my sign up post:

http://achaemenids.blogspot.com.au/2014/12/victorian-challenge.html

Brittany said...

I want to sign up for both of these! I love Victorian lit and had already planned on reading quite a few books this year.

Brittany@The Crafty Engineer said...

Here is my sign up post! I'm going for both challenges!

http://thecrochetingengineer.blogspot.com/2015/01/2015-reading-challenge-where-are-you.html

LibriAmoriMiei said...

Hello,

here my sign up post

http://libriamicimiei.blogspot.it/2015/01/bingo-2015-reading-challenge-french.html

Anonymous said...

My goodness. How are you in so many challenges, without knowing about my three? My second year begins February 1 (avoid getting in the way of Christmas, I say). They have no rules and I award international prizes. Worth spreading the word, I think! :) Happy to consider yours, if I think I can manage those author-specific categories.
Sincerely, Carolyn. https://cmriedel.wordpress.com/riedel-challenges-2015/

Julie @ Smiling Shelves said...

A Victorian Bingo Challenge sounds like so much fun! Here's my sign-up post: http://goo.gl/Az0fd4 .

Bellezza said...

Will you do this again in 2016? I'd love to join in!

Becky said...

Yes, the 2016 sign-up post is up now. You can find it here.