Friday, March 10, 2017

All That Glitters

Enchanted Pony Academy #1 All That Glitters. Lisa Ann Scott. 2017. Scholastic. 128 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: "I don't belong here." Daisy shook her mane, backing away from the crowd of ponies waiting to climb the rainbow to the Enchanted Pony Academy.

Premise/plot: All That Glitters is the first book in a new early chapter book series. I believe each chapter book will feature a different magical pony. This first book is all about Daisy. Daisy's problem is that she doesn't believe in herself and she doesn't feel she's special enough to have magic and be destined to become a royal pet. Every single page--well, every other page at least--drives home the message that Daisy is more special than she knows, that she should just BELIEVE, BELIEVE, BELIEVE in herself and everything will fall into place.

My thoughts: Good news, bad news: what you see is what you get. No surprises, no twists. If the idea of magical ponies climbing rainbow stairs and leaving glittery trails behind them sounds like a good match for you--or your child--then congratulations, it's a series. For me, as an adult reader, let's just say I'm glad it's not a TV show or I'd be hunting for the remote before the theme song got stuck in my head.

For the record, I do wholeheartedly believe that young children just learning to read, learning to love reading, NEED series books.


© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Enchanted Pony kinda reminds me of the Fairy books that were popular when my kiddo was in elementary school. I didn't care for them myself, but they were always checked out.